There are some basic cooking tips that anyone can learn to use in the kitchen. With today’s busy lifestyles, knowing and using some basic cooking tips can save you time and reduce stress in the kitchen.
The following is just a small handful of the many basic cooking tips that you can incorporate into your everyday life to save time and money.
There cooking tips are used by the best chefs around the world to maintain order and harmony in their kitchens. Here are the top ten most common cooking tips that the at home chef and can start using today.
- Use a small note pad or a white board on your refrigerator to record items you need to get on your next trip to the store.
- Prepare all your ingredients before beginning to cook. This includes all chopping, mixing and measuring as part of the preparations.
- Start cooking the dishes from the longest to the shortest. You can do prep of other items in between so everything is ready at the same time.
- Keep several kitchen timers in your kitchen and set one for each dish. This allows you to concentrate on the task at hand rather than mentally timing each dish.
- To keep your mixing bowls from sliding around while you are stirring or whisking, place it on a damp kitchen towel.
- Keep a supply of disposable vinyl gloves handy to keep your hands from becoming stained by certain foods or irritated by hot peppers or onions.
- Cooking spray can keep foods from staining your plastic utensils or storage containers. Spray them before adding food or using the utensil.
- Place a toothpick between the pot and the lid to prevent a pot from boiling over. This technique also works with covered casserole dishes.
- Keep pasta, custards, and milk from boiling over by coating the inside of the pot lid with vegetable oil.
- When using a double boiler, place a few marbles or a clean jar lid in the bottom pan. If the water gets low, these objects will rattle, warning you of the problem.
Here are a few tips on handling food:
Run bacon under cold water before frying to reduce shrinkage
Add a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda I while soaking beans to reduce gas attacks
Adding salt or vinegar when boiling eggs will keep the egg in the shell if it cracks.
Boil corn for three minutes directly into boiling water, without salt to maintain the taste level.
Freeze cheese for 25 minutes to make grating easier.
Soak wilted veggies in 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon vinegar to help bring them back to life.
Many of the best chefs cooking tips have to do with minimizing work, especially clean up and cooking foods correctly. These master chef cooking tips will help streamline and speed up the cooking process and make you a better cook.